Referee Class Hosting
Through Oklahoma Soccer Association, clubs can host three different US Soccer Referee Program courses. The first is the entry level referee course, called "Grade 9". Clubs can also host an upgrade course to the next level, "Grade 8". Finally, clubs can offer a "Recertification Class" which returning referees are required to attend annually.
A Grade 9 referee is approved for use as either a Referee or Assistant Referee on youth recreational matches up to U14. Grade 9 referees are not approved for use at any level of competitive or adult soccer. The Grade 9 course consists of 90 minutes of online coursework (each candidate is to complete before attending the classroom) and two three-hour classroom sessions. Most commonly, clubs schedule both sessions of a Grade 9 course on a single Saturday, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM for the first session and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM for the second. Other scheduling options are available to help fit your club's individual facility and timing needs.
A Grade 8 referee is approved for use as either a Referee or Assistant Referee on all youth recreational and competitive matches. Grade 8 referees are not approved for use at any level of adult/amateur soccer . The Grade 8 course consists of 90 minutes of online coursework (each candidate is to complete before attending the classroom) and three three-hour classroom sessions. Most commonly, clubs schedule the Grade 8 course first session on Friday night from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM, and then the final two sessions on Saturday, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM for Session 2 and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM for Session 3. Other scheduling options are available to help fit your club's individual facility and timing needs.
An annual requirement for returning referees of all grades is attendance at an approved Recertification class. Each recertification is one three-hour session. The class is for both Grade 9 and Grade 8 referees. These are usually scheduled for 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM on either weeknight or Saturday/Sunday evening. Each club may host one recertification click each year at no cost.
(To host additional recertification clinics, see "Fee Schedule", 2016 Oklahoma State Referee Committee Policies, page 8)
Requirements for Hosting a Referee Course
- A minimum of 10 enrollees is preferred for each course. Any class that has failed to reach the minimum enrollment at least 72 hours before the beginning of the first session may be canceled at the discretion of the State Director of Instruction (SDI).
- There is no fee to the clubs for hosting a Grade 9 course, Grade 8 course or their first Recertification class of the year.
- If there are fewer than the minimum number of enrollees, clubs can avoid class cancelation by paying the difference between the minimum number of enrollees and the actual number of enrollees at $75 per individual below the minimum.
- Clubs may not use the referee clinics to raise funds by charging more than the fee established by OSA.
- Restroom facilities must be on site and available for the entirety of each session
- Chairs and a writing surface (tables, desks) are required for all sessions.
- A club representative must be on site to assist with arriving candidates and monitor attendance and behavior. The club representative should be on site at least 30 minutes before the first session and at least 15 minutes before each additional session, or as arranged beforehand with the instructor.
Complete the form above and email to: email@example.com or fax to: 918-627-2693